Sunday, November 9, 2008

I realized I forgot a few things I was going to say, and am so not blog-savvy that I could not immediately figure out how to edit.

Firstly, one reason I named it Post Eight is because this is not just about Proposition 8, but about 2008 itself. There is an emerging meme that our work is now beginning now that we are in the post-election. And I keep thinking about many things about this election, and this entire year: the first African-American president, the economic meltdown, airbrushed children singing from the Beijing Olympics, Sarah Palin mocking herself alongside Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live. I believe we are in an unprecedented historical moment, but it's so easy to let moments get away with us without reflection or direction. In a time when reading this morning's Sunday Week in Review felt like old news because the election was already 5 days ago, I remind myself to think deeply and sincerely about the complex layers of historical Not only is my work, then, about fundamental LGBT rights and committments, but about uncovering the historical amnesia that tends to obscure the complex layers of information that work us over as media consumers. It is my hope that this work that i identify as "mine" is shared by many, and that there are many applications to this work. It is also my hope that I stop calling it work, stop seeing it as another thing to do or another email to write about, but rather, something that communities engage in and work together on to expand into passionate and authentic discourse.

Alternately, this blog could be just another space for us to group-chat and run inside jokes and sexual innuendos into the ground while having political discussion. That's incredibly enjoyable as well. I am a firm beleiver that truth and beauty is uncovered in unexpected moments of an overkilled and perhaps apolitical joke, but then again, I am dialectical and postmodern in general. I am hoping that this space will attract others that operate like this, others that don't operate like this at all, or anything in between. I just basically want to talk about it -- all of it.

xoxoxoxo ivy

No comments: